Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Our First Service...

Sunday night was our first service and man was it incredible! Missy and Brooklyn weren't feeling well, so I (Brandon) went alone--something we normally won't do. In all honesty I've never felt so helpless as I did in that little taxi on my way into the village. We almost got hit only once and almost hit someone only like three times. I've always prayed for safety and stuff like that, but never really out of total desperation like I did that night. I've done this sort of thing before, but never alone. Soon the pavement turned to mud and I new this was for real...

After arriving at the church it was like something kicked into gear and I knew exactly what I had to do. We worshiped for 1 hour in that hot little church full of people. The sound of ceiling fans, plastic lawn chairs on cement, and scooters screaming by outside was familiar and weirdly comforting--like I was at the right place at the right time. Before my message started they turned all the lights off. Only randomly blinking Christmas lights filled the room with light. Then the most heart-warming sight I'd seen since we'd arrived--12 little girls all in white dresses holding candles slowly marched in time down the middle isle of the church as we sang what sounded like "Silent Night." I didn't feel a need to say a word after that because God's love was already so evident in that room. Not in some white, American "minister," but in those little kids.

I still spoke that night and prayed for 6 people who said they've never felt the love of God. If we'd have left after Sunday night, I would have felt like we came to do what we were called to. As I hugged those six people, some young and some old, I could feel their desperation to know something more than the life they knew now. And God, I believe, filled that void. All glory to Him. Know this: His love is ALWAYS big enough to handle ALL situations.

We just returned from Singapore--we had to reload on milk for Brooklyn and make sure his fever wasn't anything major. In some strange way it was actually nice to return to Batam even though we didn't mind Singapore's amenities. Besides a trip to the doctor, we considered our stay there sort of a Christmas celebration since we'll be doing services on Christmas day here in Batam.

Last, but not least, little Brooklyn got his first MAJOR haircut. The Batam heat was getting to him, so Missy thought it best to practice her cutting abilities on the little guy. I suppose I'm next.

11 comments:

mommak said...

That's awesome how your first service went! Praise God... He is so good!
I'm glad you guys are doing well and that Brooklyn is too - can't wait to see more pictures of all of you (and his haircut). We're always praying for you!
Colton & Connor want to know when Brooklyn can come over again and play??? :) We all miss you and love you!

Jessica said...

Wow, I am so excited for ya'll! That's a big step to leave everything you are familiar with! I'm excited to see/read about it!

suddenfire said...

it is so awesome when the grace of God shows up to do what is laid before you!

we can do all things "thru HIM"!!

praying for you often!

Brandon Yerxa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brie said...

Wow! It's so awesome to hear about the service. What you guys are doing over there is anything but small... I know God is doing BIG things!! It's truly inspiring. Missing you lots!! Praying for you & LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

KK Brink said...

i just really look fowards to your posts!! Brandon this is incredible! isn't it crazy what God does through little kids!! obviously! i love it!!
Man we miss you here in Minnesota! there has been soo many times i have just wanted to come over and talk!! but i know you guys are having such a great time!! ohh little brooklyns hair is sooo cute!! I can't wait to hear more!!

Brandon Yerxa said...

Brandon & Missy-

Tiffany and I are keeping you covered in prayer. Actually I had heavy burden to pray for you this weekend, which sounds like just about the time when you did the service! Praise God for how he uses us!

I love you guys.

Brandon

Ps I just threw three HUGE snowballs through cyberspace....all three hit each of you right in the back! Bullseye. Hopefully it cools you guys off as you read this. :)

heatherelle said...

Oh wow Brandon! It is so exciting to hear all that goes on with you guys on the other side of the world! PTL!

The service sounded awe-inspiring. I am so happy that you guys as a family are able to experience this and be used through God to reach out to the people surrounding you.

Praying that all works out in accordance to God's plan and that Missy and Brooklyn are feeling better! Love you guys!

Heather

Mimi said...

Love the hair!! And that the Lolli pops served a purpose! I'm so glad your first service went so well. It's just the beginning of your adventure with God. I Love you all... and miss you as well. All of us are praying for you... and Gigi has enlisted her warriors!

Gwen said...

I'm in a puddle on the floor crying. You guys are amazing, thank you for obeying. I had that feeling of obedience when I was there. Saturated by HIS overwhelming love -- they will impart as much to you as you are letting flow through you!!! Obedience has such GREAT rewards!! So proud of you ALL!!!!!

christine said...

Brandon I LOVE your writing!I felt as though I was there in that dark room witnesing this experience....precious.
Still missing you guys like mad!
Praying for His strength,peace and wisdom for you every step......