Monday, December 22, 2008

Strawberry Fanta

Yesterday started out with a moment that I NEEDED. You could say as the only female of the bunch this journey has been a bit hard for me. I guess I should say I am a lot more spoiled then I thought and coming here has made me see that. So each morning I ask GOD for the strength to get through another day with His joy. So GOD decided to send me a moment I will never forget...

We were at the pool yesterday (our ministry schedule leaves us free time in the mornings which we take advantage of to relax/recoup) and there were some Indonesian children from a nearby village that had snuck into the pool. They were swimming in their clothes and enjoying every moment of being in a swimming pool. I wasn't going to say a word. Why steal that joy from them? The Lord prompted me to buy them each a Strawberry Fanta. I walked towards them with these little treats and they looked at me with such sad eyes; they must have thought they were all for Brooklyn. To their delight I handed each one of them what I thought was a small treat. To my amazement they LEAPED out of their chairs and ran across the pool screaming and laughing with the purest joy. By their reaction (that I wish you could've seen) I don't think they had ever had such a treat. The moment melted my heart and the Lord kindly reminded me that He had a purpose for us in Batam that went much further than eating spaghetti for dinner every night.

I lay in my chair for a while thanking God for His peace and His grace, when I heard some movement next to me. I sat up and there they were, all 4 children, sitting in the chair next to me with big beautiful smiles on their faces. At that moment I asked God to keep them, direct them, protect them, and love them for the rest of their lives. It says in Ephesians that God will do exceedingly above all that we could ask or think and I know He began to work at that moment.

The day ended with a service at Marlena's church. This is a newer, smaller church that we have recently become connected to. It was in her village and it was the cutest little church (all pink, which I liked) and there was so much love in the building that it was hard not to cry. There were about 10 adults and 6 children there.

The service began with praise and worship, which Brooklyn loved. He stood up in the front row, clapped, said Hallelujah, and did whatever everyone else did. He didn't seem to mind that the music was merely and electronic keyboard and 1 vocalist. The music was anointed and so was the preaching. Brandon shared a message on the simple love of God. These people hung on every word and JUMPED at the opportunity to get prayed for at the end of the service. Brandon asked them if he could give them each a hug at the end. He got a bit choked up as he explained to them that we considered them family and loved them all deeply. The people clung to his genuine affection. I wish I could've been up there, but was definitely content keeping an eye on Brooklyn while he played (and I believe ministered) in the back outside of the church with all the children. I loved loving them and sharing Brooklyn's toys with them.

Thank you GOD for beginning and ending this day with your deep love and compassion. Thank you for sending so many laborers to love and support us so that we could experience these moments!

11 comments:

suddenfire said...

awesome...thanks for taking the time to update us all...so happy for you and praying for you guys as well!

Sunday said...

SWEET! Everybody loves Fanta! Just think, you are truly experiencing God every single day, how amazing is that? I love the updates, makes it seems like your not so far away. Sounds like Brooklyn is having a great time, of course we knew he would. I will be praying that noodles becomes your #1 craving and thinking of you on Christmas. Love you guys! tears falling.....

KK Brink said...

oh missy!!! i just WISH i could have been there to see those kids freak out over those sodas!! I love it! I bet that just felt sooo great to bless so simply!! man...your posts just inspire me!! i'm so proud of you guys!! i really am! next time you go...i want to come! i feel like just buying a plane ticket now and being there with you guys!! Miss you so much and love you all more than you know!!

-KK

Mimi said...

How wonderful to see the joy on a child's face at the simplest of treats! Thank you for sharing. Love you all!

heatherelle said...

Oh wow Missy! What an awesome story! Thank you for sharing that. I love how the simplest outreach can mean so much to someone- especially little children. I'm sure they will remember that for awhile!

Love you guys! Merry Christmas!

Heather

MsP said...

So, somehow, I stumbled across your blog, and I am SO glad I did!

I read through them all last night, and I want you both to know how excited I am for a place to stay updated with what you are doing! I honestly tossed and turned all night thinking about what it must be like for you there, and I kept waking up and praying for you. I don't know, maybe that sounds weird, but its the truth!

So, just know I love you both and am praying for you!

(Great, great, great posts, by the way!)

Danielle

Fresh Manna by Pastor Tim Burt said...

Brandon and Missy, We love you and are praying for you all! So very proud of you knowing that God is transforming your lives in a way that will forever change you! God bless you and Merry Christmas!
Pastor Tim & Renee Burt

christine said...

love you guys lots!!!miss you even more....
its getting harder and harder to not cry at each post.
These are precious times for you all right now and I wouldnd wish you back yet for anything!Proud of you as ever........

Kristin said...

My dear, Galinda - "Because I knew you, I've been changed for good." You're heart amazes me! You go, girl...touch this nation! Soooo proud of you! Toss, toss.

Erin said...

You were all very missed today, but it was fun to come home and read up on your adventures and see smiles on everyone's faces!

Gwen said...

Girly - I'm so proud of you. The pink pepto-bismol church. Just there and you are so right. No one cares about color, heat or anything. Juest the amazing presence of the Lord that SHOWS UP! At Marlena's church. Those kids will be forever touched by the whitie that gave them Fanta!!! Thank you for your obedience -- :O)